First of all, please get out the dreamy world that your Wi-Fi Router can’t be hacked or why would they hack your office / home Wi-Fi. Your Wi-Fi device can be hacked by any novice hacker who is in range of 10 meters to 1000 miles from your device. Most of the times, Hackers need hacked routers (Zombie Devices) to perform malicious activities on someone using your device IP Address and physical location so that when Police searches, it comes to your place instead of his. They can also hack for taking out critical information about yourself or your organization.
All these problems can be avoided if you are prepared well enough and have implemented these basic Security features as Hackers normally search for weaker secured devices to attack and capture rather than spending time on cracking a good Password.
- First & most important rule, have a good Wi-Fi password and not just “password123” type of lame passwords as normally all hackers have Dictionary of these lame passwords which they can enter to gain access. Use a thumb rule to use at least 3 upper case characters (Ex: A, B, C, D……), 3 lower case characters (Ex: a, b, c, d……..) and 3 Numeric Digits (Ex: 1, 2,3, 4……) in a password. It would be even best if you can use special characters (Ex: !,@,#,$…..) in the passwords. As an extra measure of security, you should always change your password after couple of months / weeks whatever you like but you should change.
- Disable the Physical WPS Key login right now on the devices and believe us they are the easiest to hack.
- Always use WPA / WPA 2 type encryption while creating a new password as WEP key encryption has already been compromised and can be hacked in couple of seconds.
- Change the Wi-Fi device login details by going to URL 192.168.1.1 while being connected on Wi-Fi. The URL may differ according to company. These are usually set to default; admin and password. People have a notion that only those people who are connected to Wi-Fi network are able to login into device. It’s not like that, any hacker can get into your Wi-Fi device even if he does not know your Wi-Fi password. And once he got into your Wi-Fi device he can do whatever he like. Also if you are good at memory, you should change this URL too.
- For office environment, we would suggest system admins to do the regular updates of Wi-Fi device firmware. System Admins can activate the MAC filtering but a hacker can bypass that as well. So, you should always check the logs and DNS entries of Wi-Fi device for extra security. Bigger organizations must buy an enterprise level Wi-Fi router instead of normal cheaper devices. You should even install a VPN / Firewall on the router for better security.
We assure you that these security measures will help you a lot and will prevent you from any malicious attackers. You can also contact us if you want to have a Cyber Security Awareness Workshop conducted in your office premises within India.
Stay Connected, Stay Intelligent!